Thursday, February 15, 2007

BOOKSELLER RECOMMENDS - BOOKMAN BEATTIE BUYS !!

I have a bookseller friend who e-mails me from time to time advising me about books that may be of interest. I have great faith in her judgement and as she has been selling me books for many years I invariably end up buying the titles she suggests.

Here for example is part of an e-mail she sent me a week or so back:

"I thought of you this morning as a book arrived which I just have to have, and I think you will too, and another that came in that you may have an historic interest in...........the first is published by National Geographic Directions(distributed in NZ by Random House)and its called "Into a Paris Quartier"by Diane Johnson. It is about Reine Margot's Chapel and other haunts of Saint-Germain. The back cover blurb says "an episodic, engaging evocation of Paris....nothing is as wonderful as a trip top la ville lumiere but this is a good second choice."

The other book, I am really loving this one, I read about somewhere and ordered from the US,is called >"Feeling Like a Kid - Childhood and Children's Literature"em> and its by Jerry Griswold, published by The John Hopkins University Press. It's a beautiful little harcover with lovely illustrations that talks about how the best children's lit works because of a writer's ability to remember their own childhoods and evoke that feeling of being a child."





Needless to say I bought both books! I should also add that my bookseller friend works in an independent bookstore but is not the owner. She is promoting these books because she loves them and wants others to share her joy in them.No wonder she is such an outstanding bookseller.

No comments: