Monday, November 29, 2010

Total recall of tales etched in memory

Books can leave a lasting impression, as these famous readers can attest.
Sydney Morning Herald, 28 November 2010


Kristina Keneally, NSW Premier
The Diary of Anne Frank, by Anne Frank
 I was about 11 when I read The Diary of Anne Frank , so just a bit younger than Anne herself when she wrote it. The experience of discrimination and war as told through the eyes of a girl much the same age as me helped me understand, as a child, what destructive forces hatred and bigotry can become and how devastating an impact they can have. However, it is also a story of hope. As a child reading it, I understood that goodness ultimately triumphs over evil and even the diary of a young girl can change the world.

Matt Cooper, St George Illawarra Dragons The Riddle of the Trumpalar, by Judy Bernard-Waite
My favourite childhood book was The Riddle of the Trumpalar. I really enjoy Australian history and I especially love stories about Old Sydney Town. The story is set in the early days of the convicts in Sydney around The Rocks area. I remember reading it in year 6.

As a child I lacked confidence with my reading and I was very shy. It was my year 6 teacher who switched me on and gave me confidence with my reading. I recommend the book to all students. Some may enjoy having it read to them by their teacher or parents, whereas other students may enjoy reading this novel curled up on their lounge. The key is to find a book which hooks you – I believe this is one of those books.

Libby Gleeson, author and NSW Premier's Reading Challenge ambassador
A Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton-Porter
When I was in year 6 I found A Girl of the Limberlost in the school library and it was like no other book I had ever read.

Elnora, the main character, wants to go to high school, her mother wants to keep her at home. They fight bitterly, Elnora wins and pays for her tuition by catching butterflies and moths in the Limberlost Swamp. Elnora is fiercely independent, intelligent and strong and had red hair like me.
It is a richly gothic literary work and I'd recommend it to a young reader ready to fly.

More at SMH.

No comments: