Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A library is not just about books: it's also a place for the vulnerable

If another 400 UK libraries close by 2016, as predicted, the true loss to society will be even greater than we realise
Library, reader
'Words have the power of to transform lives; everyone should be able to enjoy the education, knowledge and escapism that books offer.' Photograph: Monkey Business Images / Rex Fea
 
The Library Campaign has accused the government of hiding the exact impact of cuts that could cause the closure of a further 400 UK libraries by 2016. As a long-term supporter of the campaign to keep libraries open, I've signed petitions and shared articles promoting the virtues of free access to books. I believe in the power of words to transform lives – everyone should be able to enjoy the education, knowledge and escapism books offer. Yet until recently, I didn't understand libraries' true value, and just how great their loss would be for society.

I have fond memories of my first library. Housed in a wooden cabin raised on bricks, it was the only source of books in the north Hertfordshire village I grew up in. I'd run up the ramp, the drumming of my feet on it heralding my reunion with stories. I read from one end of the library to the other. It smelled of dust jackets and hot chipboard. Libraries were a place of magic. My gran, who lived in a small town, had a mobile library that visited every fortnight. I'd offer to carry her Mills & Boon volumes, knowing I'd get to select an extra book for myself.

When I reached university, the library was a huge 1960s concrete mushroom overlooking a lake. It stayed open 24 hours a day in term-time, and 3am visits suited my night-owl tendencies.
More

No comments: