Thursday, July 11, 2013

Why I Write Longhand

Posted: 07/10/2013 Jordan Mechner - HuffPost Books


And yet I've been increasingly bemused to realize that by real-world measures of productivity -- words written, problems solved, good ideas crystallized -- my output has not only not multiplied along with the power of my tools, it hasn't increased one bit.

Not only that: I've had for some time the gnawing feeling that my best ideas -- the ones that really make a difference -- tend to come while I'm walking in the park, or showering after a workout, or talking a problem through with a friend, or writing in a notebook; i.e., almost anywhere but in front of a screen.

For a long time I tried to talk myself out of this. I figured that if my computer time wasn't maximally productive, it was because I didn't have the right software, or wasn't using it right. I tried configuring panels and preferences differently. I created keyboard shortcuts. I downloaded apps to track time I spent using other apps, apps to make it easier to switch between multiple apps. Nothing changed the basic observed fact: There was an inverse relationship between my screen time and my productivity on a given day.
More

No comments: