Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Bookman names his favourite books for 2013

Over the past few weeks I have been posting lists from various magazines and newspapers listing their best of fiction, best of non-fiction etc.
I have avoided compiling such lists myself although I did post my favourite cookbooks over on my food/wine/cookbook blog.

However I have had a numbers of calls and e-mails from readers of my blog saying they were waiting for my best of selection so I have decided to compile short lists of books I especially enjoyed/admired this year. Interestingly the non-fiction titles are entirely NZ publishing while the fiction is largely imported.

Here goes:

Fiction:
I am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes - Bantam

Eastbourne - an anthology - Makaro Press

Cockroaches - Jo Nesbo - Harvill Secker

The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton - VUP

Saints of the Shadow Bible - Ian Rankin - Orion

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

                                      Never Go Back - Lee Child
                                    
                                      The Gods of Guilt - Michael Connelly

                                      Cross My Heart - James Patterson

                                      The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion - Text

Non-fiction:


Self portrait - Marti Friedlander - AUP

Peter McLeavey: The Life and Times of a New Zealand Art Dealer- Te Papa

Coast: A Journey Around New Zealand - Bruce Ansley & Jane Ussher-Godwit

The Life & Art of Lynley Dodd - Finlay Macdonald - Penguin  

Lights in the Landscape"New Zealand Lighthouses - Grant Sheehan -   Phantom

                                           His Own Steam - The Work of Barry Brickell - David Craig &                                                            Gregory O'Brien - AUP

                                            Promoting Prosperity -    Peter Alsop & Gary Stewart
                                            Craig Potton  Publishing 
                                                                                                
                                           Landscape Paintings  of New Zealand - Christopher Johnstone -                                                                                                    Godwit

                                          Molesworth - Harry Broad & Rob Suisted - Craig Potton                                                            Publishing

                                          45 South - Laurence Fearnley & Arno Gasteiger - Penguin Books


And my overall favourite book of 2013 ? 
 Hands down winner is Self portrait - Marti Friedlander - AUP. A truly wonderful, delightful and inspiring read; an utterly gorgeous book filled with photographic gems, a joy to hold.
Congratulations Marti, Hugo Manson and publishers AUP.





4 comments:

Kiwicraig said...

Interesting list Graham. Some great reads there (and ones I need to read). Curious about the James Patterson choice there... was a bit surprised to see one of his on your list, given his recent factory-like mass production. Is that one back to his earlier days best?

Beattie's Book Blog said...

Thanks Craig. This is one of James Patterson's Alex Cross series and I always enjoy these.

Mark Hubbard said...

I've never heard of Graeme Simsion, however, looking up the The Rosie Project it has a lot of appeal, so that'll go onto my wish list.

Did 'text' after that entry mean anything in particular?

Beattie's Book Blog said...

Yes Mark, Text is the name of the publishing company - Melbourne-based.