Thursday, December 08, 2016

Book trade News from Publishers Lunch


Danielle Smith has left Red Fox Literary after three years to launch her own literary agency, Lupine Grove Creative, with most of her clients set to follow her to the new agency.

Playwright Kia Corthron has won the Center for Fiction First Novel Prize for her debut novel
The Castle Cross the Magnet Carter (Seven Stories Press).

Green Apple Books music buyer and DJ Johnny Igaz, 34, who had been missing in the Oakland warehouse fire, was
confirmed by the Coroner on Tuesday as among the identified victims.

Forthcoming
Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian will write a memoir of his 18 months in an Iranian prison for Anthony Bourdain's imprint at Ecco. The Post reports the memoir, slated for publication in 2018 and titled "Hostage: 544 Days, 400 Million Dollars, the Nuclear Deal & Me," will "share his experiences growing up as an Iranian American in the United States and reporting from Iran, as well as the story of his imprisonment." Rezaian said in a statement: "Not knowing when I would get out was an incredible ordeal for my family and me to endure. Now that it’s over, the hard work of putting my life back together continues, and that, too, has included many incredible and often surreal moments. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to tell this exciting story, which, while intensely personal, also deals with one of the biggest international news stories of recent times."

Martin Amis said his next novel will be an autobiographical treatment of Christopher Hitchens, Saul Bellow and Philip Larkin. Amis told
livemint.com: "It's not so much about me, it’s about [the] three other writers...and since I started trying to write it, Larkin died in 1985, Bellow died in 2005, and Hitch died in 2011, and that gives me a theme – death – and a bit more freedom, and fiction is freedom." He added: "It's hard going but the one benefit is that I have the freedom to invent things. I don’t have them looking over my shoulder any more." The novel will be published after an essay collection, slated for publication in fall 2017.

No comments: